This corn and avocado salad makes a perfect fresh and healthy summer side dish. It’s great for a backyard barbecue or you can serve it along with some tortilla chips as an appetizer.
I love to have friends and family over in the summer to grill out, so I am always looking for fresh healthy side dishes. This corn and avocado salad really hits the spot. Even my kids love it! It’s got fresh sweet corn, juicy ripe tomatoes, creamy avocado, and red onion for a little bite. Then it’s all tossed in a bright and tangy lime vinaigrette.
- Corn - I always like to go for fresh corn in the summer, but if it’s out of season frozen corn works well too. Canned corn will also work in a pinch.
- Tomatoes - I prefer sliced cherry tomatoes in this salad. The size is perfect and they hold up well after adding the dressing.
- Red Onion - If your not a fan of raw onion you can soak them in cold water for around 10-15 minutes before adding to the salad for a milder flavor.
- Lime Juice
- Olive Oil
- Cilantro or Parsley
How to cook the corn
- Grilled in foil - This is my favorite way to cook corn in the summer time. Shuck the corn and wrap it in foil with a little butter and throw it on a hot grill. Then cook it for 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally. I like to get a little char on my grilled corn so I remove it from the foil and put it back on for a few minutes until slightly charred.
- Grilled in husk - Peel back the husk and remove the silk from the corn then fold the husk back in place and soak in a large bowl or pot of water for around 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the corn and grill for 15-20 minutes turning occasionally.
- Boiled - Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add shucked corn and boil for 10-15 minutes
- Sauté - Cut corn from the cob. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan until melted then add corn and cook for around 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally.
How to prepare the salad
The preparation for this summer corn salad is simple, just combine your cooked corn with the tomatoes, onion, and avocado in a large bowl. In another bowl prepare the vinaigrette by adding the lime juice, olive oil, cilantro or parsley, salt, and pepper then whisk to combine. Then pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss gently to coat. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.
You can make this recipe a few hours ahead and refrigerate but any longer than that and you will want to leave out the avocado since the avocado will brown and it won’t look too appetizing. Shortly before serving, cut your avocado and gently fold into the salad.
How to serve corn salad
This creamy avocado corn salad makes a great summer side dish along with grilled meats and burgers.It's also an awesome side for Mexican food like my sheet pan fajitas or chicken enchiladas. It also make a great game day appetizer served with tortilla chips.
Corn and Avocado Salad
- 3 ears corn cooked
- 2 medium avocados rough chopped
- ⅓ cup red onion diced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley or cilantro chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine corn, avocado, red onion, and tomatoes in a large bowl
- Combine Olive oil, lime juice, and parsley in small bowl and whisk until combined.
- Pour vinaigrette over corn salad and gently fold to combine
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to combine
* All nutrition information we provide are estimates based on third party calculators. We encourage you to calculate these on your own for accurate results.