This Instant Pot Spanish rice is just like you'd find in your favorite Mexican restaurant, but made quick and easy in your pressure cooker. It's a perfect side dish for all of your Mexican favorites!
Why this recipe works
Many Mexican dishes like tacos, enchiladas, fajitas, and quesadillas are excellent for weeknight meals and definitely family favorites at my house. And this classic Mexican restaurant side dish is perfect with all of them.
Best of all, making this Spanish rice in an Instant Pot is SO easy! You can turn out soft fluffy rice in around 20 minutes, with only about 5 minutes of active, hands on time!
My favorite thing about this easy Spanish rice side dish is that all of the ingredients are pantry staples so it's easy to throw together last minute for a quick meal.
Step by Step Instructions
Note: This recipe was developed on a 6 Qt. Instant Pot duo Evo Plus.
- Set your Instant Pot to saute mode and allow it to preheat. While it heats, rinse your rice under cold water in a fine mesh strainer until the water runs clear. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pot, then add the diced onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes until softened, then add the rice and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the rice is lightly browned. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, except the peas, then scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. This is critical to help avoid the dreaded burn notice!
- Close and lock the lid, then set the Instant Pot to Manual and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then vent any remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Stir in the frozen peas and let sit for 2-3 minutes with the lid on to allow the peas to warm up.
What to serve with your rice
This flavorful Mexican rice is perfect as a side dish for enchiladas, quesadillas, and more. It's also a great base for burrito bowls and taco salads. For more pairing ideas try some of these favorites:
Recipe Tips and FAQs
Yes! you can definitely make this dish without a pressure cooker. Just heat a pot over medium-high heat and saute the onion, garlic, and rice as directed. Then add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low, maintaining a gentle simmer. Cook for around 20 minutes until all of the liquid has been absorbed. Then fluff the rice and add the peas. Cover for 3-4 minutes, then serve.
If you prefer brown rice that will work as well, but will need a longer cook time. For brown rice follow as instructed and set the Instant Pot to 20 minutes for the high pressure cooking cycle.
Store leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
To reheat, add a splash of chicken stock or water and cover loosely, then microwave until warmed through.
Instant Pot Spanish Rice Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion diced
- 1 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Set Instant Pot to saute and allow to preheat. While the pot heats, rinse the rice under cold water in a mesh strainer until the water runs clear. Add oil, then add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add the rice and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes until the rice is light golden brown.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Seal the lid and set to manual and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then vent any remaining steam.
- Carefully remove the lid, then fluff the rice with a fork. Add the frozen peas and cover with the lid for 2-3 minutes until the peas are warmed, then serve.
* All nutrition information we provide are estimates based on third party calculators. We encourage you to calculate these on your own for accurate results.