These easy sheet pan fajitas are a quick and healthy meal of oven baked chicken strips with peppers and onions, seasoned with a delicious Mexican spice blend. They're perfect for a busy weeknight or can be easily scaled up to serve a crowd or for meal prep.
What ingredients you'll need
- Chicken - For this easy fajita recipe I like to use boneless skinless chicken breasts. I slice them into thin strips to get every bite well seasoned. Boneless skinless thighs will also work. You can leave the chicken whole if you prefer, but will need to bump up the cooking time a bit. This recipe is also great with steak or shrimp too. Just adjust the cooking time down 10-12 minutes for shrimp or 10-15 minutes for steak, depending on how well done you want it.
- Veggies - I like to use sliced onions and a blend of bell peppers to add a variety of color to the dish. This mix is also usually available frozen if you prefer but I would let them thaw before cooking if using those to avoid excess moisture.
- Seasoning Mix - A blend of chili powder, sweet paprika, cumin, onion powder, dried oregano, salt, pepper, and garlic is combined with olive oil and lime juice. Fresh minced garlic is preferable but garlic powder will work too. If you like a little spice some cayenne pepper and chili flakes are good additions as well.
- Tortillas - We prefer flour tortillas in my house but corn are great too if you prefer. If you're on a low carb, keto, Whole30 or similar diet you can sub in lettuce wraps for the tortillas.
- Toppings - Use your favorite! Homemade guacamole, pico de gallo, sour cream, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, and lime wedges are all classic options.
Seasoning chicken fajitas
- First we will make a homemade fajita seasoning blend. Combine 2 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp Kosher salt, ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- If you haven't already, slice the chicken into thin strips around ¼ inch thick. In a small bowl combine ¼ cup of olive oil and the juice from 1-2 limes, around 2 tablespoons. Add the seasoning mix and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken to the bowl and toss until it's well coated. If time allows you can cover and refrigerate for around 30 minutes, up to overnight. This will allow the chicken to marinate in the seasoning for improved flavor.
How to cook sheet pan fajitas
One pan chicken dinners like this are perfect for a busy weeknight when you need a quick and easy meal without a lot of cleanup. The key to cooking this dish is getting your veggies and chicken sized right so they will cook in the same amount of time.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Toss the sliced onions and peppers in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, then season with salt and pepper. Add the seasoned chicken to a foil lined sheet pan then arrange the peppers and onions around the pan.
Cook for around 15 minutes. Then change the oven to broil and cook on high for another 5 minutes until the vegetables begin to brown and the chicken is cooked through.
How to serve oven baked fajitas
You'll want to serve the fajitas immediately since the thin chicken strips and veggies can cool pretty quickly. I like to serve these sheet pan chicken fajitas right on the hot pan. This helps keep them warm a little longer.
I set them out family style with tongs and let everyone have at it. Serve with a plate of warm tortillas, a batch of homemade guacamole, sour cream, pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, and shredded cheese.
Can this recipe be doubled?
If you're making a large batch I would recommend using one pan for the veggies and another for the chicken. That will allow you a little more control over the cooking of each item. This way you can take your veggies out earlier if you like crisper veggies.
What to do with leftover fajitas
The leftover chicken and veggies are great for tons of things like adding rice to make burrito bowls, adding to quesadillas, or for topping nachos and salads. So, even if you're not serving a crowd, I definitely recommend making a large batch since it's not much extra effort.
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts sliced into strips
- 3 bell peppers sliced
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 3 cloves minced garlic or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- ¼ cup olive oil plus 2 tbsp
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a sheet pan with foil.
- Combine ¼ cup of olive oil and the remaining ingredients for the seasoning mix in a large bowl and stir to combine. Add chicken strips then stir until well coated. If time allows cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes up to overnight.
- Toss the onions and peppers in the remaining 2 tbsp of oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the chicken and vegetables onto the sheet pan in an even layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then change the oven setting to broil and cook on high for about 5 more minutes until the vegetables begin to brown and the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve immediately with warm tortillas and your favorite fajita toppings.
* All nutrition information we provide are estimates based on third party calculators. We encourage you to calculate these on your own for accurate results.