This fresh homemade guacamole is an easy and delicious appetizer that's also a perfect topping for your favorite Mexican dishes or for smearing on some crispy toast at breakfast.
Why This Recipe Works
When it comes to guacamole, there are countless recipes out there to choose from. But why settle for anything less than the best? This guacamole recipe uses authentic ingredients, including ripe avocados, onion, tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, and salt, to create a rich and flavorful blend that truly captures the essence of guacamole.
This homemade guacamole is perfectly balanced and bursting with flavor, and it is sure to impress your taste buds and your guests. Try it today and taste the difference for yourself!
How to Pick Ripe Avocados
Guacamole is so easy to make at home. I've never really understood why people would buy it pre-made. I think most would agree the hardest part of making homemade guacamole is getting perfectly ripe avocados.
Most avocados at the supermarket are either too hard or overripe, so you've got to really luck out to find the ones that are ready or you can buy them and ripen them at home and hope you catch them before they go too far. Unfortunately, I've thrown out countless avocados that I bought with plans for making guacamole a few days later that had their own ideas!
When looking for ripeness, you want an avocado with a dark green color that is firm but with a slight give when pressed. If it's hard and a brighter green color, it's not ready, and if it's mushy when pressed, then it's overripe.
- Cut your avocado in half around the pit and twist to separate the halves. Then remove the pit with a spoon or, using a large knife, carefully strike the pit with the blade towards the heel of the knife so that your knife sticks into the pit, then pull it out. The second method is demonstrated here.
- Next, scoop the flesh out of the peel and roughly chop and transfer into a bowl.
- Squeeze on some fresh lime juice. I like about half of a lime, but if you like a little more tanginess, you can add more.
- For the mix-ins, I usually go with diced tomato and onion, but you can keep it basic and stick with just avocado and lime if you like. If you want to tone down the raw onion, you can rinse it well in cold water after dicing or let it soak before adding it to the bowl.
- I'm one of those people that doesn't care for cilantro, so I usually use parsley instead or skip it entirely, but I've included it here as most people like it that way.
- If you like some heat, a seeded and finely diced jalepeño or serrano is a great addition.
- Once you've got all your ingredients in the bowl, season to taste with some salt and stir to combine until it gets to your desired consistency.
Frequently Asked Questions
True guacamole requires only a few simple, fresh ingredients and absolutely no fillers or unnecessary additives. To make a delicious batch of guacamole, all you need are ripe avocados, onion, tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, lime juice, garlic, and salt. With this authentic recipe, you can enjoy the pure, unadulterated taste of guacamole at its finest!
If you want to keep your guacamole looking fresh and vibrant, it's important to avoid exposing it to air. When the avocado's cells are exposed to oxygen, they start to oxidize and turn brown. To prevent this, spread the guacamole into a flat layer in your storage container and cover it with a layer of plastic wrap, making sure the plastic is in direct contact with the surface of the guacamole. Then, pour about half an inch of water over the plastic to create a protective barrier. This simple trick can help your guacamole stay green and fresh for up to 2 days.
Other Awesome Appetizers
- 3 medium Haas avocados, peeled and seed removed
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup diced roma tomatoes
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- Halve each avocado and remove the seed, then scoop flesh from the peel. Roughly chop and add to bowl.
- Squeeze around 1 tbsp of fresh lime juice on top of the avocado.
- Add tomatoes, onion, cilantro, salt, and cumin to the bowl and stir until it reaches your desired consistency.
* All nutrition information we provide are estimates based on third party calculators. We encourage you to calculate these on your own for accurate results.