These roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon are a delicious, easy side dish that are sure to convert any Brussels sprout hater you know.
When I first started hosting Thanksgiving at my house I was looking for an easy, healthy side dish to go along with all of the heavy holiday classics. Brussels sprouts were trendy at the time, so I gave this roasted Brussels sprouts recipe a shot.
I was surprised to find they were actually pretty delicious! They have a kind of sweet, nutty flavor with tender insides and slightly crispy outsides. And the crunchy smokey bacon really goes well with them for a contrast in texture.
How to pick and store your Brussels sprouts
When purchasing Brussels sprouts look for bright green leaves without black spots or damaged outer leaves. Smaller sprouts are preferred and are a little sweeter.
Try to get evenly sized sprouts so they will all be done around the same time. Raw Brussels sprouts will keep for around 7 days in the vegetable drawer of your fridge.
How to make roasted Brussels sprouts
- These roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon are really easy to prepare. Just trim and halve the sprouts and toss with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Then spread them out on a sheet pan in a single layer, cut side down. Make sure to leave some room between them and not overcrowd your pan.
- Cut small strips of bacon, around 1 inch, and sprinkle around the pan and bake at 400°F for around 20 minutes until the spouts are tender and well browned.
Tips for the best Brussels sprouts
- The number one key is to bake them at a high temperature so they're soft and tender on the inside and crispy and caramelized on the outside.
- Don't flip the sprouts during the cooking process. Laying them cut side down and letting them cook on that side allows them to retain moisture and steam on the inside, giving you tender sprouts. You'll also get the nice crunchy outer leaves on top where they were exposed to the high heat.
What to serve with Brussels sprouts
These roasted brussel sprouts with bacon go great with roasted meats like a rib roast, turkey, or roasted pork loin. So they're are a perfect healthy side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas. But they also make an easy healthy side dish for a quick weeknight meal.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- 1½ lbs Brussels Sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Clean and trim outer leaves from Brussels sprouts and cut in half
- Toss with olive oil and season with salt and pepper then arrange on sheet pan in a single layer, cut side down.
- Cut bacon into 1 inch pieces and sprinkle around you Brussels sprouts.
- Bake for 20 minutes until Brussels sprouts are tender and browned and bacon is crispy.
* All nutrition information we provide are estimates based on third party calculators. We encourage you to calculate these on your own for accurate results.