This homemade sour cream and onion dip is a simple quick appetizer that replicates the flavor of the dip made with dried onion soup packs that everyone knows and loves. This easy appetizer uses ingredients you likely have on hand so it's perfect for when unexpected guest drop by.
Classic onion dip uses slow cooked caramelized onions which takes a bit of planning and time. For a quick version everyone knows and loves sour cream and onion dip using the dry onion soup packs. This recipe mimics that flavor using just a few simple pantry staple ingredients.
Ingredients for Sour Cream and Onion Dip
- Sour Cream - This one's pretty obvious!
- Dried Chopped Onions and Onion Powder
- Granulated Garlic
- Soy Sauce
- Parsley (optional)
How to make sour cream and onion dip
This homemade onion dip is one of the easiest appetizers possible! The two keys to replicate the classic onion dip soup flavor are the dried chopped onion and the soy sauce for a little saltiness and umami.
All you have to do is mix everything together in a bowl and if possible refrigerate for 30 minutes or so to help the flavors develop.
When ready to serve the dip a sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley or chives will dress it up a bit but that's completely optional.
How to serve sour cream and onion dip
This dip is most often served with potato chips so it's a great game day appetizer. Pita chips and pretzel chips are good choices as well. And vegetables like carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, peppers, and celery are also great options to serve with this.
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 tbsp Dried Chopped Onion
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- ⅛ tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Finely Chopped Fresh Parsley, Or 1 Teaspoon Dried Parsley
- Mix all ingredients together in small bowl then cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour before serving.
* All nutrition information we provide are estimates based on third party calculators. We encourage you to calculate these on your own for accurate results.