This stunning cocktail is a delicious twist on a classic margarita with the addition of blood orange juice that gives it a beautiful color and great citrus flavor.
What are Blood Oranges?
A blood orange is a variety of orange with dark, ruby-red flesh. They are typically available from December through April, depending on the specific variety. The flavor is sweet with a slight bitterness. The color comes from anthocyanins, which is a common pigment in many fruits and flowers.
- Blood orange - look for a blood orange that is firm and feels heavy for its size. Avoid oranges that feel spongy or have signs of mold.
- Good quality tequila - I prefer reposado tequila in this recipe. Reposado is a tequila that has been aged for between 2 months and one year, and it will typically have a more mellow flavor than a clear blanco tequila.
- Triple sec - This orange liqueur is common in many cocktail recipes. I use Cointreau brand.
- Agave syrup - Agave is a natural sweetener derived from the agave plant, which is also used to make tequila. It's available in most supermarkets. You can also substitute simple syrup if you prefer.
How to Prepare the Margarita
- Juice 1 blood orange and 1 lime, then add the juices to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Next, add 2 ounces of tequila, 1 ounce of triple sec, and half an ounce of agave syrup.
- Shake the drink vigorously for around 30 seconds. Strain into a prepared glass filled with ice.
How to Serve Your Margarita
I like to serve this drink in a sugar-rimmed glass. To do this, prepare a small plate with about 2 tablespoons of sugar spread evenly. Take a lime wedge and run it around the rim of a glass, then press the rim down onto the sugar.
You can use coarse salt if you prefer, or try adding chili spice for a spicey or smokey flavor. Garnish the glass with a thin half-slice of blood orange or lime wedge.
What to Serve with Blood Orange Margaritas
Blood Orange Margarita
- Juice from 1 blood orange, around 2 oz.
- Juice from 1 lime, around 1 oz.
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce triple sec
- ½ ounce agave syrup, or simple syrup
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Cover and shake for around 30 seconds.
- Strain into a sugar rimmed glass filled with ice and garnish with a small thin slice of blood orange then serve.
* All nutrition information we provide are estimates based on third party calculators. We encourage you to calculate these on your own for accurate results.
Leave a Reply