This stunning cocktail is a delicious twist on a classic margarita with the addition of blood orange juice that gives it a beautiful color and great citrus flavor.
What are blood oranges?
Blood oranges are a variety of orange with a dark ruby red flesh. They are typically available from December through April depending on the variety. The flavor is sweet with a slight bitterness and the color comes from anthocyanins, which is a common pigment in many fruits and flowers.
Ingredients you'll need
- 1 blood orange - look for an orange that is firm and heavy for its size. Avoid oranges that are spongy or have mold.
- 1 lime
- Good quality tequila - I prefer Herradura or Casamigos brand reposado tequila. Reposado is a tequila that has been aged for between 2 months and one year and it will typically have a more mellow flavor than a clear blanco tequila.
- Triple sec - This is a sweet orange liqueur common in many cocktail recipes. I prefer Cointreau brand.
- Agave syrup - this is a natural sweetener derived from the agave plant which is also used to make tequila. It's available in most super markets. You can also substitute simple syrup if you prefer.
How to prepare the drink
You'll begin by juicing 1 blood orange and 1 lime then add the juices to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Next add 2 ounces of tequila, 1 ounce of triple sec, and a half an ounce of agave syrup. Shake the drink vigorously for around 30 seconds. Strain into a prepared glass filled with ice.
How to serve your margarita
I like to serve the drink in a sugar rimmed glass. To do this, prepare a small plate with about 2 tablespoons of sugar spread evenly. Take a lime wedge and run it around the rim of a glass then press the rim down onto the sugar. You can use coarse salt if you prefer or get creative by adding spices for a spicey or smokey flavor. Garnish the glass with a thin half slice of blood orange or lime wedge.
Blood Orange Margarita
- Juice from 1 blood orange around 2 oz.
- Juice from 1 lime around 1 oz.
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce triple sec
- ½ ounce agave syrup or simple syrup
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Cover and shake for around 30 seconds.
- Strain into a sugar rimmed glass filled with ice and garnish with a small thin slice of blood orange then serve.
* All nutrition information we provide are estimates based on third party calculators. We encourage you to calculate these on your own for accurate results.