Easy and delicious, this apple crisp recipe is loaded with a sweet cinnamon apple filling and topped with a crunchy brown sugar and oat topping. It may just be the perfect Fall dessert.
When Fall rolls around apple crisp is my go to dessert. It may not be as beautiful as an apple pie with a lattice crust but it’s every bit as tasty and half the work. You can eat your apple crisp before a homemade pie dough has rested long enough to roll out.
Apple crisp is a great dessert to make with the kids. I take care of peeling and cutting the apples and they get to make the filling and topping. Plus there are two bowls so, if you have two kids like me, both kids get a job!
How to make an apple crisp
- Filling - For the filling pick your favorite baking apples. I like to use Honey Crisp or Gala, but they are more sweet. Granny Smith will work well if you like a more tart apple for a less sweet filling. I prefer to peel them but you could leave them unpeeled if you like. I also like to slice my apples thin, around ¼ inch, so they get nice and soft. If you want a bit more bite slice them a little thicker. Next you’ll mix your apples with sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and flour then stir to combine and set aside.
- Topping - For the topping combine oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt and whisk to combine. Then add cold cubed butter and cut with a pastry blender until small crumbles form. If you don’t have a pastry cutter you can use two forks or just smash the butter into the mixture with your fingers. If you want more crunch chopped pecans or walnuts can be added into the topping.
- Baking - From there just add your apple filling to a baking dish and top with your topping and bake. If your topping begins to get too brown you cover with foil until done.
After baking, let the crisp cool for around 15 minutes before serving. It’s great by itself, but some vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce will put it over the top!
- 8 medium apples , peeled, cored, and sliced
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup butter diced into cubes
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples, then place in a large bowl.
- Add brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and flour and stir to combine, then add to baking dish
- In a separate bowl add oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt, then whisk to combine.
- Add cubed butter and cut with a pastry blender until small crumbles form
- Spread topping over apples and bake for around 45 minutes until the topping is browned and the filling is bubbly.
* All nutrition information we provide are estimates based on third party calculators. We encourage you to calculate these on your own for accurate results.