These air fryer Italian Sausages are cooked with sweet peppers and onions for a quick and easy meal in just 20 minutes! They're perfect sliced and served over pasta or stuffed into buns for a weeknight dinner the whole family will love!
Why this Recipe Works
Cooking Italian sausage and peppers in your air fryer is perfect for a no-fuss weeknight dinner. The classic combination of the juicy sausages and the sweet peppers and onions is bursting with flavor. Slice them up and serve them over pasta for a hearty, satisfying meal. Or you can simply serve them in hot dog buns for quick and easy lunch or game day meal.
And best of all, they take just 20 minutes and cook all in one pot, so clean-up is a breeze!
In this post, I'll provide simple step-by-step instructions and tips to help you make these delicious air fryer sausages perfectly every time!
- Italian Sausage - I use uncooked mild Italian sausage in this recipe. They are sweet and flavorful and pair well with the sweet peppers and onions. Spicy Italian sausage will also work if you prefer a little bit of a spicy kick. Turkey sausage or chicken sausage will also work.
- Peppers and Onion - I use red and green bell peppers and yellow onion.
See the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the complete list of ingredients and measurements.
- Heat the Air Fryer - Preheat your air fryer to 390℉.
- Prep the Veggies - While it heats, slice the peppers and onion and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Then, place the peppers and onions in the air fryer basket.
- Cook - Add the sausages on top or the veggies. Leave a little room between them so they are not touching each other. Cook for 15 minutes, flipping the sausages every 5 minutes.
- Cut your onions and peppers into the same sized pieces so they will cook evenly.
- Try not to pierce the sausages and line your air fryer with foil before cooking to help limit the grease splatter and make clean-up easier.
- Lay the sausages in a single layer and leave space between them so the air can circulate and they will cook and brown evenly.
- Cook the sausages to an internal temperature of 160°F to ensure they are fully cooked.
- If you like your peppers and onions softer, cook them for another 2-3 minutes after removing the sausages.
- If you plan to serve the sausages on buns, warm them in your air fryer for 30 seconds just before serving to soften them.
What to Serve with Italian Sausage
These air fryer sausage and peppers are a classic street food and they make a great addition to your game day spread with other game day favorites like my baked lemon pepper wings, Velveeta chili cheese dip, and my BBQ chicken nachos.
And for an easy weeknight dinner, you can slice them up and serve them over the top of pasta with marinara sauce for a hearty, satisfying meal.
Storage and Reheating
Store leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
The cooked sausages can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Reheat leftovers in your air fryer at 360°F until warmed through or in the microwave.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, this dish can also be made on in a skillet on the stovetop or on a sheet pan in your oven.
For the stovetop, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the sausages for around 5 minutes per side then transfer to a plate. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and cook the peppers and onions until softened, around 5-6 minutes. Then add the sausages back to the pan and cook for another 4-5 minutes until the sausages are cooked through.
For the oven, preheat your oven to 400°F. Toss the peppers and onions with olive oil, salt, and pepper and place on one half of a sheet pan. Place the sausages on the other half of the sheet pan and place in the oven. Cook for around 20-25 minutes, flipping the sausages occasionally, until the sausage is cooked through.
An air fryer is great for cooking Italian sausage because the hot convection air crisps the exterior and browns them all over, so they're extra flavorful. Try not to pierce the casing so the grease doesn't splatter as much. Lining the air fryer basket with foil helps to make clean up quick and easy.
More Italian Recipes
Air Fryer Italian Sausages
- 2 medium bell peppers, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 package uncooked Italian sausages, mild or spicy
- Preheat your air fryer to 390℉.
- While it heats, slice the peppers and onion and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Then, place the peppers and onions in the air fryer basket.
- Add the sausages in a single layer on top of the veggies. Leave a little room between them so they are not touching each other. Cook for 15 minutes, flipping the sausages every 5 minutes, until they reach an internal temperature of 160℉.
* All nutrition information we provide are estimates based on third party calculators. We encourage you to calculate these on your own for accurate results.