This refreshing tropical green smoothie is a nutritious treat that's perfect for a quick and easy breakfast or snack and a great way to incorporate more leafy greens in your diet.
Why this recipe works
Green smoothies are a great way to get more nutrition in your diet and this one is a perfect gateway into healthy green smoothies. Despite the vibrant, bright green color there isn't the typical earthiness you'll find in many green smoothies. It's really bright and refreshing and the tropical fruit adds natural sweetness, so no added sugar is neccessary.
This green smoothie is packed with spinach and kale, two highly nutritious leafy greens. Tropical mango and pineapple add the sweetness. Frozen banana adds the body, so no additional ice is needed.
I like to add coconut water for a little more liquid. The flavor goes great with the tropical fruits! Regular water or apple juice will also work.
- Simply add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth, around 1-2 minutes.
- If your mixture is too thick and will not blend, add a little more coconut water or regular water to get it loosened up.
Health Benefits of Kale and Spinach
Kale and spinach are both nutrient rich leafy greens and are heart healthy "superfoods" that are low in calories. It's almost impossible to eat too much of either one and this green smoothie is a great way to get more of them in your diet.
Spinach has been linked to reduced blood pressure thanks to it's high nitrate content. It's also packed with fiber, vitamin A, calcium, and iron.
Kale is also great for a heart healthy diet thanks to high levels of antioxidants such as beta-carotene and anti inflammatory flavanoids such as quercetin and kaempferol. It's also a great source of vitamins C and K.
Tropical Green Smoothie Smoothie Recipe
Tropical Green Smoothie
- ½ cup pineapple, chopped
- ½ cup mango, chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ½ cup kale, chopped
- 1 half banana, frozen
- ½ cup plain coconut water, or water
- Combine ingredients in blender and blend on high until smooth, around 1 minute. If mixture is too thick and not blending smoothly, add more liquid and pulse to combine until mixture blends smoothly.
* All nutrition information we provide are estimates based on third party calculators. We encourage you to calculate these on your own for accurate results.